Friday, April 13, 2012

A Hippie Love Story


A Hippie Love Story

A little back story, I was raised by middle class hippies in Upstate New York, no not New York City, upstate; where all the cows live. I’ve been ‘living green’ all my life. We recycled before it was cool, ate produce from local farms, re-used ‘trash’ for art projects and I’ve continued this with my own son.

Cornell University in Ithaca, NY where I grew up

My husband, Joe, and I met online…not on a classy site like match.com or eharmony but good ‘ol Myspace. Remember Myspace? Yea. Well, it gets better from there, don’t worry. We lived two hours away from each other and did the long distance thing while Joe finished his Culinary Arts degree at Alfred State. I was a supervisor at Borders, it was this place where people bought books before Amazon came along.

Joe and I, pre-baby,  in Time Square 2009

Anyways, he graduated, moved in with me and we lived together for a blissful three years before the unthinkable happened: the jerk got me pregnant. Thankfully, we ended up having the coolest kid ever and I let Joe marry me 5 short weeks after Maddox was born. No, I didn’t wear white; with a newborn I figured I couldn’t fool anyone.

Maddox Orion 

♥ Our Wedding ♥

We decided that it would be best that I be a WAHM (for those of you playing the home game, that’s Work-at-home-mom).  I should mention now that after Borders went bankrupt, I went to work for my father who owns a small accounting business. Yes, nepotism is a wonderful thing.  Joe worked at various restaurants in town before finding his dream job at a local bar & grill under new ownership. I got to say, it’s a pretty nice place and he loves it. So I do too.

Daddy's little sous chef

Back to me now, as a WAHM, I pretty much stumbled through the first year of Maddox’s life. All of my friends were either new parents themselves or had kids 3-4 years before. My parents, Goddess bless them, believe in letting their kids find their own way. So while they would answer questions if I asked, they never hovered or imposed and I love them for that because it made me do the research myself and figure out how I (or we) wanted to raise my kid.



I’m now know everything I could ever want to about breastfeeding, babywearing, cloth diapering,  co-sleeping, sensory play, baby led weaning, Cry-it-out, car seats, I could go on and on. The point is, I’ve learned so much and have had so many people come up and ask me questions that I decided to start a blog to consolidate it all.

Just a taste...

Disclaimer: I do not claim to be a guru or wizard or expert on anything. I love to learn new things and share with my friends and family. That is all. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you started this blog! I don't think we would have started cloth diapering had it not been for you! You my love, rock<3

    ReplyDelete