Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Felt Fishing Fun!

My mom was really into doing crafts with us when we were younger.  One of my own personal favorites was the "Fishing Game."  Maybe it's because magnets are super cool to young kids....or maybe it was because we were allowed to hang off the back of the couch to play.  Regardless, it was something that I knew I wanted to do with my own kids.

M has recently acquired a fascination with fish.  Fish, fish, fish! When we went to the National Museum of Play he was mesmerized by the aquariums.  His father got him some pet fish, which he talks to and feeds every day, so I thought this might be the perfect time to introduce this game.

Supplies:
Felt
Scissors
Yarn or String
Paper clips
Magnet
Wooden Dowel
Googly Eyes
Glue gun
Fish Templates

I spent maybe $10 on this craft (I already had scissors and glue gun) which in itself is a huge bonus.

First, I had to find fish to cut out. I'm not artistic at ALL, so you might be able to free hand cutting out fish if you are. If you're like me just search "Fish Template" and under the image results you should find a bunch.  I ended up using 4 different kinds because I like variety.

Second, trace templates onto felt, I just used a fine point Sharpie. I was able to utilize my awesome sugar cookie cutting skills and fit one 'set' of fish on each square of felt.  You'll be using two cutouts for each fish.


Third, cut, cut, cut. I found this worked best while watching my favorite tv shows paired with Ben & Jerry's after M went to bed. Ok, that last part isn't necessary...but it helps :)

Fourth, GLUE GUN TIME!! Who doesn't love using glue guns?  I know I do. Lay out each pair of fish placing a paper clip in between. Press together. 


Fifth, add googly eyes.  Again, this isn't necessary but I think it's a super fun/cute addition and it just takes an extra minute or two. 


Sixth, take wooden dowel, attach yarn or string with magnet tied to the end. I had to cut mine in half because they were out of the shorter dowels at my local AC Moore but that means I have an extra for playdates!

Final step....Go Fishing!! M had a blast and a half with this. The first day he kept going back to it over and over again. I think he'll be ready for fishing with his grandpa in no time!!

Checking out his fishin' pole.
First attempt..miss....
Second?...GOT IT!!



Playing with the fishes.
He realized it was easier standing


I think this is something that will work for a long time by adding a degree of difficulty to it. 
I'm already thinking of the numerous possibilities of numbers and letters glued onto the fish. 


Please ignore my messy house, I'd rather do fun stuff with him like this than clean. 

1 comment: