Sunday, May 13, 2012

The Boy Who Wouldn't Sleep: Part II

If you missed Part I, here it is in a nutshell....my son won't fall asleep alone and after 18 months of little to no sleep we decided it was time for a toddler bed. And here's how THAT'S going...



Night #1-- Test run.  I'm not taking apart that crib unless I have to. 


Ghetto Set-up
Asleep on his ghetto set up by 10:30pm.  Little to no sleep for this anxious mama, I was checking on him constantly.  Woke up at 2:30am. Laid down with him in his room, asleep in less than 10 minutes.  Woke up at 4am, Joe got him back to sleep in about the same time. Slept till 6:30am





And this is how we ended.

Night #2-- Converted his crib to a toddler bed and got a bed rail for safety.

This is how we started out...
Asleep by 9:30 in his converted crib.  Woke up at midnight. Would NOT go back to sleep in the bed. Pulled mattress onto floor.  Slept till 4am. Back to sleep in 5 minutes. Slept till 6:30am 





THIS IS SPARTA!!



Night #3-- We ditched the crib.

Asleep by 9:30pm no bed, just a mattress on the floor. Woke up at 2am. Would NOT go back to sleep in his own bed, up until 4am.  Got him back to sleep in his bed, slept till 7:30am.





Bedtime stories...in BED!!

Night #4-- Asleep by 10pm.  Woke up at 3am. In bed with us. Mommy fail, I was exhausted.  Family snuggles  until 8am.



Night #5-- Asleep by 10pm.  Freakin' thunderstorms. Woke up SIX TIMES between 10pm and 1am. I gave up and let him sleep with us. Family snuggles until 8am.




Cause he's a big boy now.

Night #6--Asleep by 9pm. Woke up at 3:30.  Back to sleep for an hour, then up for the day. *sigh*


Night #7- Bought new special big boy bedding.
In bed at 10:30pm.  Woke up at 4:30.  Back to sleep in few minutes, slept till 9am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!






......and that hasn't happened since.  M has consistently been waking up 2-3 times a night for the past week (week 2). He's ended up in our bed twice because I'm too exhausted to play his games. Although, last night I was able to get him to sleep in our bed and carry him to his bed later.  Worked for a couple of hours... *sigh* I miss sleep. But for the sake of (what's left of) my sanity, we're not going back!  We're muddling through this DAMN IT!  He will sleep through the night....eventually.

Update: Last night, he only woke up once at 2am! Came in, grabbed my hand, led me back to his room, then asked me to lay down. It's 7am, and he JUST woke up.  I'm NOT calling this a fluke, I'm calling it PROGRESS!!!!!!




1 comment:

  1. Hooraaayyy!! So glad this set up is working for you guys! Go M & go Mom & Dad!!!

    ReplyDelete