Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Of *Course* I Do Tie Dye!!

Duh...hippie, remember? Ever since Little Dude started napping really well during the day, I've been getting a good 2-3 hours to get stuff done. Lately I've been using that time to do research for the house like figuring out paint colors, lighting, bathroom vanities...I feel like I live in Home Depot some days.

Every now and then, however, this mama needs to get her craft on.  It relaxes me.  Who knew?  AND doing something to prepare for the wee nugget due in just 7 weeks (eep! so soon?) is nice since I really can't prep the little one's room or anything yet.


All ready to dye!!



It's been *years*, 10 actually, since I've done any tie dying solo so I thought it best I just went with a simple kit.  I bought this one at my local craft store. I had a bunch of white onesies and side snap shirts (still in the packages) from Little Dude's baby shower that we just never used since we received so many.  It was time for those puppies to get re-vamped! I vaguely remembered the different techniques for designs so I just winged it! 











I used the three colors provided in the kit plus black and purple RIT dye.  I did it in the bathroom with the fan going...so back off about a preggo and fumes. I had plastic bags on the floor, paper towels at the ready, rubber gloves, an apron on.  I wish I got a picture of that...but alas naptime is only so long and I was on a mission. I dyed the fabrics following the directions in the kit and placed them in a plastic wash bin on top of some paper towels so the colors wouldn't bleed into each other.  I placed a plastic bag on top of the bin and put it in the shower (it's the one we don't use often) out of Little Dude's reach for 24 hours.









The next day during naptime I rinsed out all the dye. Took FOR-EV-ER!! But I'm pretty pleased with the result. I really like the top two but I knew I was going to want to do something to the bottom three.  So I thought about it for a day or so and came up with the a few ideas.







I'm not really a HUGE fan of Martha Stewart but she makes these awesome multi-surface paints that work on wood, glass, fabric, ceramic and more! Yes, this thrifty mama was sold particularly when I found them ON SALE at ye old local craft store. So touche, Martha, touche. Along with some brushes, stencils (because I can't draw for squat) and masking tape I was ready to set for Phase 2.




 Here's what came of it!!




"Black Hole Sun"


"Purple Peace"


"Rockstar"

Closeup of Rockstar


"Sleepytime"
(obviously this one I just painted on)










4 comments:

  1. These turned out freaking awesome!!!! Really great jon Ladyyyyyyy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, you free-handed the moon and stars? I am in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these so, SO much! I am in love with the sun one. So awesome, Mal!

    ReplyDelete