Friday, April 13, 2012

Rainbow Rice

Like most moms I know, I'm addicted to Pinterest. So many wonderful ideas from creative moms on there. One great idea I saw was dyeing rice with food coloring. So simple and so pretty. 

Here's what you'll need. 
  • White rice 
  • Food Coloring
  • Vinegar 
  • Baggies 
  • Tin Foil
  • Cookie sheets...And that's it!!

Step #1: Divide rice into baggies. I used up the tail end of a huge bag we got from our warehouse store so I put roughly 2 cups into each bag. Next time I'll be making a lot more!



















Step #2: Pour vinegar into each bag, I guesstimated and put about 1 tablespoon-ish in each.  Then I added the food coloring, a lot of food coloring, because I wanted nice BRIGHT colors. 

Step #3: The F-U-N part!! Smooshing the rice in the bags. This is the part Maddox really got into, seeing the colors mix and spread over the rice was a lot of fun for him.  I took the opportunity to work on his colors with them (identifying the right color with the right word). 



Step #4:  This part is a bit messy.  Pour the rice from the bags onto cookie sheets lined with tin foil. I had a hard time getting the rice out of the bags. I ended up turning the bags inside out and scraping the rice off the inside of the bag with a butter knife.  

Step #5: Place cookie sheets with rice in a preheated oven set to around 275°. Bake for about 10-15 minutes, stir and repeat. I think mine took so long because I used so much vinegar. 


Step #6: Remove, play, enjoy.  The warm, dried rice was fun to run through my fingers (little dude didn't make it that long and crashed for a nap.)

Soooo pretty!!!! 


Stay tuned for updates on what we do with the rice!!


Original idea pinned from Unplug Your Kids





2 comments:

  1. It looks so simple. Such a cute idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. And cheap too! What parent doesn't love that?

      Delete